no start problem

Alright. Let's see who can figure this one out.
My car will turn over but not start. When I turn the key, I can hear the fuel
pump energize and pump for a second or two. If I shoot some starting fluid or
pour some gas down the intake, she fires up immediately and will run for a short
period of time until the gas is used up. Any ideas?
On a side note, I was driving through my small neighborhood the other day and
saw a couple of guys pushing a Pantera off to the side of the road. I stopped to
help them and the dude said, "Man, she runs fine and then she'll just die on me
out of the blue." I said, "Yeah, I know the feeling." Then he told me about some
overheating problems he was having and I said, "Yeah, I know the feeling." He
went on to mention that he's had numerous electrical gremlins and I said, "Yeah,
I know the feeling. I have a Delorean."
The whole event made me feel a lot better about all the problems I have with my
damnable car until he told me that he only paid $500 for the Pantera. SOB.
Matthew 3946