Re: [DML] Steering Bushing

In a message dated 5/9/02 9:03:26 PM Central Daylight Time, cpgny9@xxxx
writes:

> Has anyone installed the steering bushing themselves? I am ordering
> some parts and thought that this was something that I could do on my
> own. I plan on getting an allignment once I get the bushing
> replaced. Any comments or experiences with this job would be
> appreciated
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> 20006

Chris,

by far the most difficult part is seperating the U-joints on the intermediate
shaft from the column. you better start pouring liquid wrench on them NOW
while you are waiting for parts because they can be a beast. loosen up the
pinch bolts while you are at it so you don't waste all day doing them another
time. think smart and get yourself ready for the job. this can be a tricky
one. before you seperate the U-joints, try to mark them somehow, preferably
by scoring them with a razor or screwdriver so you can line the splines up
again when you are done. that way you won't need an alignment when you are
done! Two people will probably be needed, one to pull the shaft and another
to hold the joint, or else you will pull the shaft from the steering rack or
worse. i would seriously give some thought to replacing the whole steering
intermediate shaft while you are in there. now is the time! get one from
specialtyauto.com and get both U-joints and a racecar quality shaft. the
lower U-joint will typically go out first because of the water and dirt that
is splashed up from the wheels. if nothing else, lubricate them with some
80w90 gear oil really well. if you accidently seperate the collapsable
steering column, you should be able to put it together correctly again by
taking note of where the grease marks are at on it. if the problem occurs,
you will see what i mean. it is important to keep the two tubes the same
distance inside each other, otherwise when you mount the column again, the
shaft may not go on or will be angled funny. here's a tip for the bushing
installation. get a long pipe that will stick out farther than the dashboard
when it is against the firewall. you will want to put the bushing in, put
the pipe against the bushing, and hammer the bushing in by hitting the pipe
out in the open where you can get a couple of good swings. this will make
the bushing go into the metal plate easier. other than that, the project just
takes all day because of how much stuff you had to disassemble!!!!

i did this a couple months ago, email me if you have any other questions.
Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102