Re: [DML] Steering Bushing

I also did this recently, following Andy's advice I purposely
separated the steering column. Overall it took about 2 hours, with NO
assistant. I had separated the u-joint a couple of years ago and put
anti-sieze compound on it at that time, so no problem. It was a huge
deal the first time though. If yours has never been apart the all-day
estimate may not be far off.

The manual is pretty accurate on this - remove the pads on either
side of the steering column AND the bracket that hangs down. You can
get the column OUT with the bracket there, but it gets seriously in
the way when you go to put it back together and you may break the new
bushing due to the low angle on the steering column.

The most obnoxious part was probably driving the new bushing in to
place, what Andy stated works fine. I used a long extension with
about a 1" socket on it for the same purpose (I have an older set of
crummy sockets for just such purposes).

When you put it back together, put the lower part of the still-
separated steering column thru the bushing first, and loosely
assemble the u-joints. THEN slide the rest of the steering column
into place over it and raise into position. Where most people have
the problem is trying to put the column thru the bushing all in one
piece, since the column tends to retract into the collapsible part.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 5/9/02 9:03:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
cpgny9@xxxx
> writes:
>

> > Has anyone installed the steering bushing themselves? I am
ordering
----
> by far the most difficult part is seperating the U-joints on the
intermediate
> shaft from the column. you better start pouring liquid wrench on
them NOW
----