Re: Resurrection of Vixen Continues...rear glass

Re: Resurrection of Vixen Continues...rear glass

Dave,

I would recommend using the procedure Rob outlined. The rear glass
is a structural component that will affect door install and operation.
And for an extra piece of mind, I have several spare rear glass in
case your break yours. Your only cost would be a drive to Chicago.
As long as you are careful and take your time with the door install
and torsion bar adjustments, you should be fine. To be even safer,
I cover the back glass with a few folded beach towels or a foam sheet
whenever I am doing door adjustments by myself.

Good luck and hope to see you and Vixen at Memphis.

Later,
Rich W.

>snip<

> I did mount my driver's door and new passenger door on the hinges,
and did some preliminary lining up. Rob had suggested a course of
action for the alignment that I will now outline:

> 1) Install the rear glass, as it is a structural element and may
affect the alignment of the doors (I wonder about this. Is that
really the best course of action? I would really prefer to reduce the
risk of breakage by not installing it until the doors are aligned and
tensioned... Could I just install some wooden shims to hold the
window frame in the correct position?)
> 2) Install the T-panel and align the doors to the T-panel. (Seeing
as how I don't have any other body components on the car yet, I can
not line them up to anything else -- I'm not even sure if the lock
striker pins have been moved.)
> 3) Tension the torsion bar, and check alignment and motion. If
incorrect, release tension on torsion bar, shim, and retension torsion
bar.

> Comments on / additions to this procedure are of course welcome, and
greatly appreciated. Looks like it may be a lot of trial and error...