Re: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Stragand, Dave" <dave.stragand@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,

Install the rear glass, as it is a structural element and may affect
the alignment of the doors (I wonder about this. Is that really the
best course of action? I would really prefer to reduce the risk of
breakage by not installing it until the doors are aligned and
tensioned... Could I just install some wooden shims to hold the
window frame in the correct position?)

> 2) Install the T-panel and align the doors to the T-panel. (Seeing
as how I don't have any other body components on the car yet, I can
not line them up to anything else -- I'm not even sure if the lock
striker pins have been moved.)

> Comments on / additions to this procedure are of course welcome,
and greatly appreciated. Looks like it may be a lot of trial and
error...
> -Dave Stragand
> VIN #05927
> http://www.projectvixen.com

Dave,

You are doing it Right,Install THE doors FIRST,then align all the
Other PANELS to the door(s),as that IS how it was done at the
factory,as the doors being the heaviest(and hardest) part to align,it
is easier to get the Doors(s)to open and close correct,(again the
factory aligned the doors to the black body/door pins)and then
install(ed) the rest of the panels to align with the perfectly
opening/closing doors,rather than aligning the heavy doors to the
panels,the only time you align the doors to the panels,is when you do
door hinge replacement to a "D" with bad hinges.You could also get
some metal (flat stock) plates(3)or more your choice,(cut to fit the
window area)and clamp them(vertical) to the lip areas where the rear
window goes,the reason for CLAMPING the metal plates down is to keep
the up/down movement ridged,as you tensioned the bars,(and open and
close the door(s)since there is the possibility of misalignment,and
you could leave them on until you install the rear window(with the
door(s) closed)when removing the flat stock metal bars,to install the
window.

Hope this helps
Claude
000570