Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust

If you read and follow the procedures in the Workshop Manual
D:04:01-04 you will discover that you are measuring the HC ahead of
the catalytic converter. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you follow the
procedures exactly if you want to do it right. If after following
these procedures and the HC is still too high then the catalytic
converter MAY be bad.
ONLY DO THE ADJUSTMENT AFTER VERIFING THAT THE FUEL AND IGNITION
SYSTEMS ARE OPERATING PROPERLY. You cannot adjust ANYTHING to correct
for an improperly running system! Variation in the HC can be caused by
the Lambda system hunting, the idle system hunting, an intermittant
breakdown in the Secondary ignition circuit, and a dirty fuel
injector. Other possible causes could be valve adjustment, low
compression on 1 or more cylinders, misfiring plugs, etc.
The purpose of the "smog check" is to see if the car is in tune. Just
fiddling with the adjustments won't get you there, something is wrong
and you will not adjust it out. In the procedure one of the first
things it says THERE MUST BE NO AIR LEAKS PRESENT, THE IGNITION SYSTEM
IS OK AND CORRECTLY SET!!!!!!! If you know you have a vacuum leak you
should not be touching the mixture screw as in all probability if you
fix the leaks and tune up the ignition system you won't need to adjust
the mixture. With the Lambda "dead" how can you adjust the mixture?
Replace the dist cap, rotor, ignition wires and plugs, fix ALL of the
vacuum leaks and try again. After getting the car running right the
converter will be OK unless contaminated by lead or other contaminates
from gasket sealer. MAKE SURE THERE IS A PLUG INSTALLED OVER THE
MIXTURE ADJUSTING SCREW. If missing this causes a vacuum leak and
throughs off the mixture.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757