Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust

Hi Everyone!
After adjusting air/fuel mixtures screw, the HC is a bit better, but
not good enough to pass the smog check. During the smog
check, we discover something interesting. HC readout from the
smog analyzer is vary between 90 to 230 ppm (max allow is
120ppm at idle). I don't understand why HC readout has such
large variation. The technician believes the "guts" in catalytic
converter may have damaged.

Before I did this smog check, I have find a few things about my
car. (1) there is a vaccum leak (2) idle speed controller is dead
(3) the idle speed screw is wide open (4) the air/fuel mixture
screw has been change from previous owner (5) lamda sensor
was dead. The only thing I have not done for 30k maintenace is
valves adjustment. Based on all these info, I thik the system is
dumping large amount of fuel in to engine for long time, the
catalytic converter is saturated with unburn fuel. But this "theory"
does not explain the variation in HC readout. Is there a way to
check catalytic converter? Is there some type of fuel additive I
can use to "clean" the catalytic converter?

Things I have done so far
(1) new spark plugs and wires
(2) new dis. cap and rotor
(3) new O2 sensor
(4) new idle speed controller (it idle much better now)
(5) fixed a vaccum leak (car accelerates much better now)
(6) adjust air/fuel mixture
(7) new oil, oil filter, air filter

Any more idea? Thanks!

rendy cheng #4220