vacuum to heater valve

I just measured the vacuum to the heater valve (at the front of the
engine compartment) and was rather surprised-
I had thought that a vacuum at the heater valve would OPEN the valve and
allow coolant to flow to the heater core. Now that I've measured it, I
found that this valve only gets vacuum when the selector is at "MAX" or
"OFF". I guess that would make it the exact opposite; the heater core
always gets hot water unless a vacuum is present at the hot water valve.
Just thought I'd verify this through you guys...

Jim 1537