Remote starter/alarm/remote locking

Hi all

I really wanted an off-the-shelf remote for my central locking. This
was for two reasons: 1) I trust my door lock module, and 2) since I got
my car, the lock barrel on the driver's side has been total cactus.
Being the early 2-key system, I want to track down a replacement rather
than replace with the later version.

Fellow list member and good friend James RG bought and fitted a remote
starter for his automatic. Being a 5-speed, I couldn't fit one without
the risk of accidentally triggering it while in gear.... or so I
thought.

Enter the Ultrastarter 2250M from mypushcart.com (some eBay regulars may
recognise this company - they sell a lot on eBay). The "M" stands for
"Manual" and I was intrigued as to how they made sure the car could
never be remote started in gear. I won't go into it here - it's on the
website, but I was so impressd by the simplicity (it requires no
additional switches or device for keeping track of the gear-stick), that
I bought one. Price was also a factor ($69 for the simple version, $99
for the alarm model), as was the original requirement of remote locking,
also expandability. I researched how the system could trigger the boot
(trunk) and designed an interface so that with the one keyfob you can
open one or both doors. The electronics will need a bit of twiddling,
and I need a pair of actuators, but that's a "down the track" project.

Yesterday I fitted the system - it fits into the space behind the lock
module beautifully, and with scotch-locks, you can make all the
connections required (I avoided using the 30A capability of the start,
ignition and accessories outputs, and just drove the stock relays,
making no high-current connections). I used the open pins on the lock
module circuit breaker for the power, and the only connections required
that aren't in the relay compartment are the indicators, brakes and
handbrake switch. The instructions provide one output for the "parking
lights" - you could use the headlights, but I wanted an obvious external
indication without other road users thinking I'm flashing them! A couple
of diodes and two wires down to the steering column, and bingo, my
indicators flash with the system. My foglight wiring already sends the
brake light feed down the centre console, so that was easy enough, and
the trickiest one was the handbrake - now I know that the apparent twin
wire coming from the back of the handbrake is in fact the earth feed to
the switch, and the switched output (black and white, as per wiring
diagram).

The connections from the handbrake and brake lights are part of the
not-in-gear system. I also took the opportunity when wiring up my
starter relay to perform the recall on it (early VIN)

Anyway, AFAIK nobody's discussed these systems for the DeLorean before.
If anyone's interested I can go into further detail with actual
connections etc etc. NB my car likes to start with no throttle, despite
what it says in the manual.

I haven't fitted the alarm siren, but that's all that's left apart from
the door-launchers.

All the best

Martin