Re: Mid_Atlantic Spring Social

I saw most of the cars at the Spring Social close-up and have the
following comments to make on the conditions I observed:
Even if the owner knew the correct tire pressures they were wrong, I
found on 1 car a front tire @ 16 psi and tires as high as 44 PSI.
Owners, check the decal inside the glove box door and check your
tires! Fronts are to be at 23 PSI, Rear at 30 PSI and the spare at 60.
If you insist on deviating from these pressures you should not go more
than = - 2 psi measured cold. Cold means before driving the car or at
least 3 hours after driving. Always keep fronts at the SAME and the
rears at the SAME i.e. don't deviate side to side. If you run
different than recommeded then keep an eye on the tires with a tread
gauge.
Other important things noticed,
Of all the cars I saw for "door adjustments" only 1 needed an
adjustment of a torsion bar and only on 1 side (in fact I loosened it
1 notch). In all other cases either the doors were fine or just needed
new struts.
Many cars were not properly set up to idle correctly, in fact some
were missing the plug over the mixture screw and the 3 brass screws
had been turned in an attempt to "adjust" the idle. ANY vacuum leaks
will cause the motor to not run smooth including a hissing mode
switch.
Many cars are still running on the origional hoses and had crazed
header bottles.
Many cars are still using the "fan fail bypass" and the origional
door lock module.
Many cars still have not had the "Relay update kit" installed
Many cars need to have the door lock pins properly adjusted
Most cars have not had the brake fluid changed for more than 2 years
In summary many of the cars need much more maintaince then the owners
have done to become reliable and safe. Not only are they reducing the
reliability of the cars, the eventual repairs will be more expensive
and in some cases they are endangering their safety. It is very easy
to overlook many areas of the car because some of these happen to be
underneath or in other hard to see areas. This does not diminish the
importance of checking them. With many owners planning for a long trip
to Memphis I urge you before you go to put the car on a lift and have
the car thoughly inspected. There is no excuse for not having the
correct tire pressures, this is indicitive of the lack of attention to
other more important areas. I do not say this to help any vender sell
more parts, I want every owner to be able to drive his 20 year old car
with confidence and not get stuck by the side of the road. As our cars
get older they require more and more TLC. Just shining them up and
getting the doors to work isn't that important if it strands you away
from home! The cooling system is one area that requires the most
attention because of the complexity and age of the components.
As always IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757