XM Radio Antennas

If I were to choose one of these antennas to install, I would
probably opt for the roof mounted unit. Here's how you could
install it.

Mount the unit to the top vane of the louver. Centered would give
the most uniformed appearance, but that would be a personal
choice. Next loop the wire with a little slack down between the
louver, and the T panel (this gives flexability fo when the louvers
are opened). From here I would run the wire thru the grill, and
then behind the plastic peice that covers the torsion bars. Now
run the wire over to the quarterpanel, and snake it down thru the
hollow portion on the top. It will now come out behide the driver
side tail light. Now for this portion, you *might* have to drill thru
the pontoon to reach the inner compartment. From here, just run
the wire back following the path of the original antenna wire, and
you're all set!

Myself, I don't plan on installing an XM unit into my car. I just can't
get over the fact that you have to pay a subscription fee for a car
radio. But since that's an opinion, I left it for the end. My only
question is this: I realize that the XM unit requires a special
antenna seperate from the standard one. But, what kind is it? Is
it Coax? If so, Harada sells a retractable unit that accepts both a
regular AM/FM wire, and a coaxial one for CB's. It's supposed to
look and function like the stock rear retractable antenna. If
nothing else, there is a fixed mast XM antenna I've seen online
while reseaching. You could always mount this one to the
existing antenna bracket on the back.

Makes me wonder too if CARP rules have any effect on their
broadcasts...

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "chi_amfmxm" <jzierk@xxxx> wrote:
> The Terk window mount antenna is not that bad looking and
should work
> fine on the D. I would mount it on one of the side windows
> personally? towards the back of the car, and it would not really
> stick out like a sore thumb.
<SNIP>
> would need
> > is the antenna. And thats where I am having a problem. I
just got
> back from
> > a stereo dealer who deals with XM Radio. All they have are 2
kinds
> of
> > magnetic mounted antennas.
<SNIP>