RE: [DML] Millennium: The DeLorean Motor Company Concours

RE: [DML] Millennium: The DeLorean Motor Company Concours

As a 4 time judge I feel I can make a few QUALIFIED observations.

I just find it amazing that some of you are nit-picking the Concours
manual and the qualifications of the judges. It shows that you have not
looked to see what has been taken off for points in the previous events.
Mostly, people have been docked for dirt, more than anything else. Next
comes rust and corrosion, then just not having something on the car work,
like an interior light or the windshield washer. I feel that if you have the
cleanest car in the competition, you could have Zillas and an aftermarket
radio and still win. Look for dirt in the wheel wells. White glove test
everywhere, such as under the rubber strip on the bottom of the door. Check
for corrosion on the horn brackets. Look for water marks on the stainless.
Next up is fit and finish. If your hood doesn't match up to the fenders
which don't match up to the doors, etc., you'll loose points. Make sure you
have no dents. Every car in Ireland had dents in one or more panels.

You can argue the fine details all day but the handbook was made to reflect
a snapshot of what the factory would have produced if they had made the
ideal car that day. But always, it's come down to just how clean and
properly fitted the cars have been.

As for my own qualifications, I have studied every aspect of the DeLorean
for years and I do almost all of my own work on the car. I have worked
closely with James and the other judges in the production of the manual. We
spent hours making revisions after St. Louis and I and the other judges have
had personal access to many of the recovered records from the company. And
yes, I have had my own car in Concours competition (DOA).

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA VIN #10911 'OUTTIME'
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/montkw/delorean/index.htm
mailto:kenm@xxxx
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory@xxxx