Re: [DML] Millennium: The DeLorean Motor Company Concours

Re: [DML] Millennium: The DeLorean Motor Company Concours

In a message dated 3/26/02 10:36:10 AM Central Standard Time,
malevy@xxxx writes:

> I was simply pointing out that judging based on a publicly published
> "judging manual" is not the same thing as judging based on "originally
> intended specifications". It is silly for anyone to assume what the
> intention of the DeLorean engineers were. If we DID want to make educated
> guesses on INTENDED specifications, then DeLorean owners with turbo
> chargers and high performance engine swaps and modifications (even the DMC
> Houston version) should get BONUS POINTS for these items because we all
> know that the INTENTION was for the DMC-12 to have more power than it did.
> EPA regulations and other issues resulted in the underpowered configuration
> in a "stock" car.

Marc,
I agree with you 100%. The statement you make "the cars are judged to a
published judging manual" is exactly right. This is the basis of the current
"Concours," the judging manual. This manual is supplied to each Concours
contestant and they are told these are the guidelines the judges are to
follow. If their car varies from these guidelines they have the choice of
either supplying documentation supporting the variation, changing their car
to follow the guidelines in the manual or accept the scoring deductions. As
additional documented information about the Delorean is volunteered or
discovered and/or becomes available, the current published "judging manual"
is revised and/or updated accordingly.

As for the "Intended Specifications" part of judging Deloreans and the
awarding of "BONUS POINTS" - check out Ken Koncelik's car show guidelines for
the upcoming Memphis show. Anyone entered in the "Modified Class" has the
opportunity to do just this, gain "Bonus Points" for their modifications. Now
this is the first time this "Bonus Point" judging has been tried at Ken's
shows, and as a first attempt it may be found that it needs to be "adjusted"
for later shows, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction.

Later, Marty