All my previous questions have been answered so well, so I have returned
with another! :)

I was experiencing very low voltage (like 8), particularly while at idle,
so I picked up the 150 amp alternator from John Hervey at specialtauto.com
(and it arrived incredibly fast--thanks John), but after installation,
I've run into a new problem: the field coil is getting no power.

I've checked the field coil supply wire with my multimeter and found no
power at all, ignition on or off. I traced the wire on back to the other
end of the harness, where it plugs into the back of the electrical
compartment and continuity is good. Has anyone seen this problem before?
Any tips on hunting it down?

In the meantime, I've hooked the field coil on the alternator directly to
the jumpstart post (only while driving, so I don't drain my battery) and
it works great. Voltage is back up to around 14 with all accessories off,
and around 13 with everything on. The alternator is making a strange
whistling noise, though, but only while under load. The frequency
increases as the engine speed does. It's definitely not a screeching from
a loose belt. I'm hoping/assuming (perhaps stupidly) that this noise is
just normal for this alternator. We'll see if the belt lasts I guess. :)

Now, the second part of my post. Yesterday I hardwired my Valentine 1
radar detector, with remote display. (For those who don't know the V1,
check out http://www.valentine1.com/ for more info.) I ran the main unit
power cord up under the front edge of the headliner, then down under the
moulding on the A pillar, then behind the dash, where it connects to the
V1's power breakout box, which is also plugged into the remote display,
mounted on the underside of the binnacle, allowing for perfect private
viewing while driving.

I've put up a few snapshots of the install at
http://yo.fuh-q.org/photos/?album=20020222 for anyone interested.

-andrew