Re: A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boot)

Re: A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boot)

There usually is a high frequency noise from alternaters especially
when putting out near full load. A squeaky noise is indicitive of a
bad bearing which doesn't go away and will get louder with time.
Contact the vender and discuss this and the wiring problem with him.
It could also be belt noise. To confirm while the motor is running
squirt a little water on the belt. If the noise changes or goes away
it is a belt or pulley problem. Low voltage problems are commonly
caused by dirty ground connections or one of the "big" wires from the
battery, alternater, or starter. Check them all out because if that is
the source of the voltage problem changing the alternater doesn't fix
it. I don't think you are really refering to the "field" wire. The
wire you are really connecting to is the "Voltage sense wire" which
goes to the internal voltage regulater. If it really is the field wire
then you will not have any output regulation and will cook the
battery. I also recently purchesed the Valetine radar detector and
although I haven't used it in my "D" yet it is a huge improvement over
the older units I have used.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Andrew Smith <aos+yahoo@xxxx> wrote:
> All my previous questions have been answered so well, so I have
returned
> with another! :)
>
> I was experiencing very low voltage (like 8), particularly while at
idle,
> so I picked up the 150 amp alternator from John Hervey at
specialtauto.com
> (and it arrived incredibly fast--thanks John), but after
installation,