RE: better door "launchers"

Walter said: "I've come across perhaps a better idea for installing door launchers than weighing the door down with additional hardware. My idea is to install the actuator (or solenoid or whatever) in the T-panel or one of the electrical compartments behind the
seats. From there run bicycle brake type cables up through the T-panel and into the doors. Technically the same could also be done with the door lock solenoids which would take a lot of weight out of the doors taking strain off the torsion bars & door struts."

As the only known source of remote door openers (not "launchers") I think I can address this subject. The actuators I use weigh all of 4 ounces! You do not need or want to use solenoids anyway - besides being way too heavy, they demand much more current and are unreliable (like the door lock solenoids). You will not notice the additional weight of a 4 ounce actuator, and it will not require adjustment of the torsion bars like solenoids will. But you were on the right track with replacement of the door lock solenoids with the same actuators - I have been running that same setup in my car for about 7 years with no problems at all. The difficulty with installing actuators in place of the original solenoids is wiring them. The solenoids are grounded and use separate positive wires for the lock and unlock actions. With actuators the two wires must alternately be positive or grounded to lock or unlock. If you are handy with relays its not that difficult to retrofit actuators, but I hesitate to recommend it because most folks aren't comfortable with this level of wiring changes.

As for your bicycle cable idea, as I have reported earlier something similar but much more involved has already been done. There is a red DeLorean in Canada which was brought to Seattle a few years ago to be fitted with remote opening AND CLOSING doors, hood, louver, and engine cover. The doors close by two large pneumatic cylinders lying on the shelf behind the seats pulling on tiny cables which exit the door jamb near the strut and pull on the door.

Anything is possible as long as you bring enough $$$$$.

Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive
McCleary, WA
www.delorean-parts.com