A DeLorean moment

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my first great DeLorean experience. I've had my D for a week now. I have two other daily beaters for commuting. Although I've only drove it a few times, so far the alternator/water pump belt fell off, the passenger window regulator broke at the plastic elbow and I suddenly couldn't open the front compartment. Needless to say the girlfriend couldn't help but get a few digs in. Like "why didn't you get a brand new bmw, corvette or something. "

Never worked on this type of car before but I've repaired the minor problems. Nothing a replacement steel passenger window regulator, new belt and slipping set screw couldn't fix. I also came up with a pretty good way to tighten the alternator belt. Very carefully with a small hydraulic jack and a short piece of 4x4 on an angle.

I only wish the girlfriend was there tonight when I emptied an entire hardware store of personnel AND customers to "check out the DeLorean in the parking lot. " I needed to get my only key duplicated and got a Castanza spot right in front of the store. As I walked in I heard a voice on their walkie-talkies blare; "HEY GUYS - THERE'S A DeLorean IN THE PARKING LOT." Since they all carry a radio it literally echoed throughout the store. Then I realized all eyes were on me! I'm not used to being the center of attention. Sure a few snickered; "where's the flux capacitor?" and "Ya know? If I screw-up your key I can just get in the car and go back to the future before I ruined it." Which didn't make any sense but, hey, the guy makes keys for a living. Hate to sound so rude but I used to make keys too. While I was testing the key the very same jokesters were out there with the other truly interested people surrounding the car asking a lot of questions and wowing at what great shape its in for a twenty year old car. (I'm so glad I had that passenger door skin back on and nobody noticed that the first two times I turned the key the starter didn't kick in. I just heard a click, click, click near the battery - yikes! Now what?) I said to my girlfriend on the telephone (of course not mentioning the hard start thing) that; "I'd like to see a new bmw or vette do that!"

Apologies to any bmw or vette owners but this IS a DeLorean list isn't it? :)

PS:I'll need to search the archives to see what the hard start thing might be. Anybody want to save me the trouble?

Tony Pistachio
#10781 BDX-6324
Wappingers Falls, NY