RE: crossover pumps

Richard asked: "I am thinking about going with a crossover water pump and fuel pump instead of ordering the more expensive versions from a vendor. Does anyone have experience with crossover pumps vs. the same parts from a vendor?"

I can address waterpump crossovers. Many years ago, when DMC water pump pulleys were constantly being destroyed when removed, and no new ones were available, I designed a bolt-on aluminum pulley that fits on the Volvo version of the pump and has the exact same diameter and offset. Besides offering a remedy for that problem, the Volvo pumps were more readily available, much less expensive, and could often be found at your local import auto parts store with a lifetime warranty. Internally the pumps are the same, but the Volvo uses a bolt flange on the shaft.

Now the major vendors offer DMC-type pumps with pulleys installed for you. But my bolt-on pulley has remained a popular improvement that is hard to keep in stock.

Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive
McCleary, WA
www.delorean-parts.com