Re: [DML] the aversion to customizing?

Keeping a pristine example has its merits. But individually I think it comes
down to what you can afford to do in the interest of your own gratification.
The ownership experience is different for each of us. Some can afford to play
with the car, and others have to treat it as an investment which will some
day need to be liquidated. Stock pristine cars are generally more liquid and
easily transferred than custom versions. For the informed and experienced
owner, your financial loss or gain from the ownership experience can be
predicted to a somewhat reasonable degree.

The Delorean I think is different than other cars in many ways, especially
for those technically and mechanically inclined. For the knowledgable, the
car presents many deficiencies, each of which is an opportunity for
improvement and personalization, that other less adventurous or perceptive
types may not appreciate. If customization work is top notch, the
desireability of those cars in the eyes of other enthusiasts of similar
persuasion is real. But the audience of potential buyers does potentially
diminish among the uninformed, considering the fear uncertainty and doubt
that can come with a one of a kind car.

A great deal of responsibility for the evaluation and purchase of a
customized car falls on the buyer of such a car. He needs to be able to
evaluate the quality of the work done, Judge for himself the technical
validity of the improvements, and trust himself thru his own experience and
capabilities to decide. You won't get much feedback or valuable information
from the general owner community if you're considering an EFI, turbocharged,
engine transplanted car. It's simply a one of a kind.

The Delorean is fertile ground for those of us inclined toward improvements.
Opportunities exist by the ten fold. And they're even more obvious to those
who are familiar with the multitude of different ways automotive systems can
be implemented. The general design of the car incorporates a great deal of
latitude and flexibility when it comes to alternative implementations of both
new and better technology and/or simple asthetics.

My car is a playground right now. It fits my needs and my pocketbook. Fills a
place in my life and provides a great deal of gratification. It's my toy and
to certain degree my creation. And I'm having more fun with this car than
with any other I've ever owned.

I do however incorporate every change with an eye towards the ability to roll
back to stock if I so choose. I never destroy or discard original parts and
avoid on car modifications which cannot be completely reversed. My car may
not be stock. But everything I need to make it so is right there in a box
under my work bench.

Jim 6147