Crossover pumps

I am thinking about going with a crossover water pump and fuel pump instead of ordering the more expensive versions from a vendor. Does anyone have experience with crossover pumps vs. the same parts from a vendor? (I remember someone talking about a VW fuel pump that works awhile go but I don't remember any specifics being given.) Do they all fit and work the same, or is there a major difference in quality?

Any help would be appreciated,

Richard