Re: [DML] the aversion to customizing?

> I am very curious why so many people on this list are against
customizing
> their DeLorean?

Sean,

There is customizing for the sake of being different and then there is
customizing for the sake of making the car better for daily use. The type
of customizing that most of us are against is when someone tries to make the
car look like something that it was never meant to be. For those who like
being alternative, the DeLorean really hits the spot. That is about as
alternative as most of us feel a need to go. But for those who like driving
the alternative to the alternative, then you get things like the DeLorean
monster truck, the BTTF conversions, that red custom fiberglass DeLorean
used in some TV show, etc. I feel that these are over the edge, but I don't
badmouth any of them. I like to see some variety in a marque of cars that
all look the same except for some minor details such as the placement of the
radio antenna or the tips on the exhaust pipes.

The type of customizing that you are talking about such as updated stereos
and suspension improvements is what makes owning these cars so much fun. If
you are going to use it for daily driving, then by all means update the
thing. As for my car, I have a black headliner, Alpine stereo, lowered
front springs, PJ Grady adjustable shocks, aftermarket lowprofile rims, and
convex side mirrors. Things that I am getting ready to do are a stainless
steel frame, chrome intake manifold, HID Sylvania Xenarc headlights,
electrochromatic rearview mirror, and heavy duty front sway bar. Once that
is done I'm planning a Porsche 4 speed automatic tranny and possibly a
different kind of engine or maybe the Houston upgrade. LED running lights
anyone?

I just wish I had more time for these things, but I do have other
commitments that take most of my time. And then there are local people who
have me work on their DeLoreans. Being one of those guys like Rob Grady or
DMC Joe must be a mixed blessing. You have your cake, but you have eat it
every day to make a living at it.

Walt Tampa, FL