RE: [DML] the aversion to customizing?

I am not a purist, but my "D" is pretty close to original. All I have
is my opinion, but it appears there are a few reasons to this:

1. The car was built to be a certain way, and damn it I am gonna keep it
that way
2. The car is a vehicle that would be worth less if customized
(pertaining to concourse vehicles mostly)
3. The car is a piece of art. Would you repaint the Mona Lisa's smile?

I am sure there are more reasons. My own belief is I bought this car
because I Love the DeLorean and wanted one. If I wanted to buy one and
modify it to be like another car, or perform like another car I would
have bought that other car. I have the stainless steel lettering,
changed the radio, and upgraded the speedometer. Would I do any major
engine, suspension, or other engineering enhancements? Maybe, because
that wouldn't really change the looks or operation of the vehicle beyond
original. Would I paint my own car in it's current condition? Nope.
Do I like the painted ones I see? Yup. I have my own invisible line of
what I am willing to do to my DeLorean, as I am sure everyone else does.
It is just some lines are further out then others.

As far as I care, chop yours up till it doesn't even resemble a DeLorean
anymore, just leave mine alone. Kidding... but I am closer to Number 1
above. However, I believe that you have a right to do anything to your
own property as you see fit.

Sorry to rant, but I believe Sean has a valid question to ask.

Jack & Virginia Stiefel
1981 DeLorean Vin 3461 August 1981 Build (Ours)
http://www.sacketmansion.com/delorean
1988 Jaguar XJS-C V-12 (Mine) http://www.sacketmansion.com/jaguar
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (work)
2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 (daily driver)
2001 PT Cruiser (Hers)
Visit us at http://www.sacketmansion.com