Re: [DML] Re: Coils

I would like to share my experiences on coils. I am approving or
disapproving any manufacture and it products, I am just sharing my
experiences.

I brought my DeLorean six years ago. Upon the purchase, I decided to change
and to upgrade all immediate and necessary components on my DeLorean.
Knowing that the components are over fourteen years old back then, a tune up
was in line and the coil was one of the component to be replaced. All part
used where Bosch OEM. BTW, I do a full tune up every year on all my cars --
religiously, so I know that if I get stuck with a car, I know it is the
components failing and not due to neglected maintenance. It is cheaper then
being towed and the aggravation and money that follows when you are on the
road away from reliable help.

Anyway, after two years of driving the DeLorean, I decided to change the
Bosch coil for the third time. I noticed that the third replacement of the
Bosch coil, after a year driving that it was "wet" on the exterior, which
means that it is leaking oil. The oil in the coil is used as an insulator
and coolant. When a coil leaks oil, it means lost of power and or failure to
follow. So, a replacement was in line. During that time, I was "playing"
with the idea of upgrading the coil to a performance coil and two choice came
to mind, an Accel or MSD coil. I chose the latter. I didn't chose Accel,
for I didn't like the color yellow in the DeLorean, which is the trademark
color of the Accel products. Accel do make an excellent product, for I used
to use and sell them when I had my wholesale and retail outlets.

Robert with VIN #6585... you may have a defective or the wrong Accel coil?

The MSD #8200 used (recommend crossover) in Chrome finish is an exact
replacement as the OEM Bosch with no nonsense or hassle. After the
installation and firing up the engine, you can feel and hear a difference
immediately. It is livelier and peppier over the Bosch OEM. It just have
that "little" extra you can feel when you are driving, so there is an
improvement.

Yes, the engine can be revved up beyond 5,500 RPM and can be red lined to
6,000 RPM, unless my tach is lying.

The MSD coil has been on my DeLorean for 20 months and there has been no
premature deterioration of any my ignition components, when the parts are
remove and replaced during the last tune up period and the parts are
inspected for its overall operating conditions. Coming June this year, it
will be time to replace the coil for it will be 24 months old. Yes, I know
the coil is still good, but I drive my DeLorean every day and at times with
extreme long trips taken many time during the year. My DeLorean is driven in
all types of weather conditions of sun, rain, snow and all. Weak and old
ignition parts don't work or operate well in humid conditions -- which means
on rainy or snowy days and nights.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY