Re: Idle Speed thermistor

Hi Shain,

The thermistor in the Idle Speed circuit activates a circuit in the
Idle Speed ECU, when the coolant is below 15 degrees C, which tells
the ECU to open the idle speed regulator a little more - to allow the
engine to idle faster when it is cold, or warming up.

As Far as what could happen if it were to fail:
I guess (and this is just a guess) it could fail one of two ways:

It could remain in one state, after the engine is warmed, telling the
ECU to keep the regulator open more and the idle high.

Or it could remain in the other state, never telling the ECU to open
the regulator more - not letting the engine idle high enough during
warm up.

I've haven't encountered either problem personally, nor am I sure the
thermistor would fail in either of these states - but it seems
reasonable, looking at the schematic.

Eric
VIN 05557
ericp@xxxx