Re: [DML] fuel pressure tester

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, jtrealtywebspannet wrote:

> What were the symptoms that made you think to check the fuel system
> pressures?

Had (well, still have) a hot start problem.

> In many cases the symptoms can tell you what the problem is
> without the need to actually check pressures. In some cases it is
> helpful to use the gauges to confirm the diagnoses but not required.

Fair enough. The primary problem here is that, being fairly new to mucking
on cars, I'm really not sure what to look for.

> The fuel pressure accumulater causes hard hot start problems when it
> is bad. Although other things can also cause this there are things
> that can be done to confirm a bad accumulater without resorting to
> gauges. A bad or missing check valve on the fuel pump might be causing
> your system rest pressure to crash. Replace the fuel filter and cut
> the old one open, if it is full of black chunks the accumulater is
> gone. (An accumulater 2 years old is not immediatly suspect).

> A fuel pump may not be bad if the suction hose is collapsing causing the
> pressure to fall.

Gotcha.

* re-adopts his newbie hat *

What's a suction hose? :)

This is the point (were I on the clueful end of the conversation) where I
would tell me (the guy on the other end) to RTFM. The tricky bit is
finding out just where The Fine Manual lives. Given that I have a /basic/
understanding of how an engine works, and don't mind mucking, what (aside
from the DMC tech manual) should I be Reading? Not necessarily DMC
specific; more general theory (ie, this is how a brake system works, this
is how a cooling system works), what procedures to follow when
encountering certain problems, etc. I can dig up resources with google as
well as anyone, but not everything on the web is true (say it isn't so,
noah!). Finding *trustworth* sources is hard. <meta name="trust"
value="high"> would be nice, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
:)

I always feel like a tard when I need to ask for answers to what I know
are ridiculously simple "I should have known that" kind of questions. I
don't have any problem with learning; I just need to know where the
school is. :)

Thanks as always.

Noah

Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear.