update on my tight steering problem

hey all,

yesterday i posted about how my steering seems to be tight, then loose, then
tight, etc through the entire turning radius of the front end. well today i
did some investigating and here is what i have found.

i opened up my steering rack and filled it up with gear oil. it seemed to be
pretty low to me, but maybe it wasn't. it took maybe .4 pints. i filled it
up until it was just a bit lower then the fill hole. i sealed it back up and
moved the wheel back and forth, then drove the car around town all day. it
seemed to get a little bit better, but not comfortable enough. i took it
back to my storage garage and lifted the front end up on a jack, and tried
turning the wheels back and forth with the steering wheel. to my surprise,
the resistance came and went with predictable occurance. i popped the hood
and opened up the steering and brake access panel, and had my girlfriend turn
the wheel back and forth as i watched. i found that when the wheels are in
the neutral position, the lower U-joint is straight up and down. as she
turned it either way, the steering got tough, but as soon as the joint was
upside down, it was easy again. as she continued turning, it got difficult,
and when it was right-side up again, it was easy to move the wheel. also, i
could see some gear oil seeping up where the shaft enters the rack. as she
turned the wheel, the rack itself seemed to be slightly twisting from stress
as well. i think my U-joints are poorly lubricated as well.

what do you experts think the problem is? the rack or the U-joints? remember
i just replaced the bushing this weekend (the problem was there last year for
a bit too).

how do i lube the U-joints, and what do i lube it with?

later,
Andy