[DML] Xenarc HID (was: SUPER WHITE HEADLIGHTS)

[DML] Xenarc HID (was: SUPER WHITE HEADLIGHTS)

I saw the Diamond headlights on eBay a while back and even bid on them. I
researched the obvious and found that the same guy was auctioning several
batches of these listed for other makes of cars. I picked out ones for an
old Mustang which coincidently uses the same headlight as the DeLorean.
There was no sense in bidding on the one specifically listed for the
DeLorean because there were too many people running the price up. I ended
up getting outbid on the Mustang lights at the last minute anyway and am
glad that happened.

I wanted all my headlights to match, so I considered bidding on two sets.
Then one set I would install different bulbs in for my high beams. Since my
intent was to eventually use HID bulbs for my low beams, I sent the seller
an e-mail asking him if it were possible to get the headlight bodies without
the bulbs and to combine 2 pairs to save on shipping. After getting no
reply and experiencing much confusion concerning what is street legal, I
bought the real HID Xenarc lights from Sylvania's web site. Go to
http://www.sylvania.com/ and follow the menu to the automotive lighting
section. This kit is complete and certified to be street legal. It
replaces ALL the headlights -- low beams & high beams. The biggest
complication with hooking them up is that they draw a lot of current as they
warm up. This is too much for the OEM headlight circuit to handle, so the
instructions say to run a new power feed to the ballasts. They draw a peak
(per side) of 12.5 amps when starting but draw only 3.5 amps (at 13.5 volts)
when warmed up. If you do the math, this is 47.25 watts per side. For the
amount of light output, nothing else can come close. The way these operate
is that the low beams are HID and stay on even while the incandescent high
beams are on. If they weren't set up this way, then the HIDs would have to
warm up again every time you went back to your low beams. Sylvania makes
them to be a matched set and says to only replace with the exact Sylvania
part. Otherwise the beam pattern may not be street legal. The HID fixtures
are a sealed unit and probably not meant to be disassembled. The ballasts
are separate and connect with a high voltage wire. The high beams are not
sealed beams and have a replaceable bulb.

I have seen enough eyebrowed DeLoreans that I am satisfied that it is not
caused by heat from the lights. The ones with eyebrows were left in the sun
for too many years. Besides, the eyebrows form over the high beams which
are used less. The OEM low beams also have a high beam assist. If
headlight heat were the cause, this should produce more eyebrow than the
dedicated high beams, and they don't.

Unfortunately, it may be a month before I can find time to install the
Xenarcs. But I can say that they are top quality. They come in a cool
black box that hinges open as a display case. The cardboard even has some
kind of perfume in it. For the price, it better smell good! The Sylvania
web site has the installation manual available in PDF format. When I get it
done, I'll post some photos and give an explanation.

Does anyone know any headlight adjustment procedures other than using one of
those mega dollar alignment fixtures?

Walt Tampa, FL