Re: A thank you to the fine Senator

There are a lot of wires runing into the fuel tank. How do you think
the fuel gauge works! It becomes a hazard when there is a spark. The
energy released by the arc causes heat which in the presence of fuel
vapors and the right amount of oxygen wil cause an explosion. Luckly
the conditions to cause this don't happen often. It is a bad idea to
alow fuel to remain in the boot with the pump because it will
deteriorate the boots and cause a gas smell. Also there is the SMALL
chance of ignition. The best thing you can do is just replace the two
boots and probably also the suction hose. While in there inspect the
tank for dirt and water and the baffle for correct placement. Be
careful with the gas. Do not allow it to come in contact with your
skin and if you do wash immediatly. Drain the tank as completely as
you can into an approved container. Modern gasoline is dangerous as
some of the additives go right through the skin and into your liver!
You'll find out when you get older how bad it is for your liver! Wires
themselves do not cause sparks, it's when the conductors touch (the
insulation breaks down) that is the problem.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757
BTW arcing in a tank is what did in Appollo 11 or at least that's what
they think did it.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Christian Williams <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> ***** Moderator's Note *****
> Regardless of the likelihood of a spark from the fuel pump,
> a leaking fuel system is ALWAYS a hazard.
> *****
>
> Can the wires that connect to the fuel pump produce a spark? I
really do
> need to know how serious this is since the DeLorean is my daily car.
I've
> never heard of a DeLorean's gas tank exploding due to gas being
trapped
> above the fuel pump, so I'm guessing that this is just a case of
something
> that looks scary.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Christian
>
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Scott Mueller wrote:
>
> > Only very dangerous if a spark is available to ignite the
gasoline, then
> > KABOOM

What should

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews