Parking brake handle disconnected...

I just bought my first DeLorean. It has only 24,000 miles on it. It
has always been garaged and is in excellent condition. However, the
two parking brake cables that connect to the parking brake handle
inside are disconnected. I've fixed this type of problem on other cars
before, but when I started to dig into this problem it looks like I
have to take out the driver's seat to remove the bracket to reconnect
the two cables. IS THIS RIGHT. It seems a bit excessive, but I can't
see any other way to fish the cables back on to that bracket with the
two slotted holes. Also, I am left to wonder why it would have come
off in the first place. The cables and the crimped-on cable ends are
intact, and the bracket holes don't look oversized. Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks...

Daniel (Proud Owner)
VIN 10920