Re: [DML] Fuel pressure at the injectors?

Re: [DML] Fuel pressure at the injectors?

Hi Walt,

Well "minimal" plate deflection is just that - a slight deflection of
the pressure plate (hoping to mimic a light throttle increase). What
happens is a few injectors vibrate and spray, a few do not, one
dribbles. Pressing the plate further, they all spray just fine.

The Fuel Distributor is in nearly immaculate shape. The Piston is
clean, smoothly machined and tighly but accurately glides up and down
through it's motion.

Again, what the car does:it idles fairly smooth, heavy accelleration
is quick and smooth, decelleration is steady and smooth. But light,
part-throttle acceleration and cruising is choppy - the engine bucks,
and studders. Exhaust smells extremely rich, and backfires once in a
while on light throttle or cruising. (Never under heavy acceleration.)

I'll probably use your soaking advice as a last resort, because it
appears so clean and the fact that when I do depress the pressure
plate moderately to heavily - I get 6, nice, equal sprays - of equal
volume. (This leads me to believe the system is not clogged). As for
shimms, it didn't have them ever. However, you may be right on the O-
ring. It may be out of shape and need to be replaced.

John Hervey's suggestion of swapping around the injectors (one's that
work in positions that didn't work) is so logical - I missed that
very obvious course! (DUoah!) I'll do that this evening and see what
it yeilds. That will at least be a sure-fire check of bad injectors.

Thanks all.

Eric
Dunedin, FL
VIN# 5557
ericp@xxxx

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > I cannot figure out why, with minimal air-plate
> > deflection, not all of the injectors fire...but deflecting the
plate
> > further they all fire equally.
> >
> > Bad Injectors? Faulty Fuel Dist.?
>
> Eric,
> Since no one else has suggesting anything yet, I'll try to take a
stab at
> it. With no deflection of the air sensor plate, there should be no
fuel
> flowing from the injectors. So when you say minimal then
define "minimal"
> and also explain what kind of symptoms you are having with the way
the
> engine is running. I have heard that shims are used under the
plunger of
> the fuel distributor for adjustment. If you had shims in there
before &
> left them out, then perhaps there is now some slack between the air
sensor
> plate and the response of the fuel distributor. Since you had the
> distributor off, maybe moving the gasket (or is it an O-ring?)
underneath
> changed the height of the distributor which could have a similar
effect.

> Another possibility is that you could have gunk in the
distributor. Maybe
> you should remove the plunger and soak the whole thing in Berrymans
B12.