Re: [DML] Car wont start (continued).

A quick and "dirty" method is to remove the wire that goes from the
ignition coil to the distributer at the distributer.(It is the big one
in the center of the distributer cap). Stick it under something so the
end is about 1/4 inch from the block (you don't want to hold it with
your hand) and while someone is cranking the engine you watch for a
lot of nice blue sparks. NEVER DO THIS NEAR A FUEL HOSE OR IF YOU
SUSPECT GAS LEAKS. The spark could jump right through a fuel hose and
burn it and could ignite a gas leak. A better way is to remove a spark
plug wire and stick an extra plug in the wire and set the plug against
the block. BE CAREFUL. You are dealing with thousands of volts. The
shock probably won't kill you but you can seriously hurt yourself when
you recoil from the "jolt". If you are not comfortable in dealing with
this it might be time to get some help. Another way to go would be to
put a SMALL amount of starting fluid (ether) into the air intake while
cranking and see if it sputters and starts. If it runs at all then you
know it's a fuel problem. If the starter is turning the motor at a
reasonable speed don't worry about it's voltage.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757