[DML] Re: Front Suspension Mod's

Walt, et al -

Are the photo's or other information regarding this lower control arm
failure available? Data like this can help pin-point areas of high
loads and also where stress concentrations exist in the current
configuration. Part of the logic that I am using in my deliberations
on this topic is that providing for "load sharing" would lower some
localized stresses, and reduce the amount of bending and deflections
that cause steel and other materials to crack due to fatigue. The
reduced bending would also enhance handling because the geometry of
the suspension would remain more stable and accurate. I am going to
try this out on my car, and try to draw some conclusions with regards
to load-sharing and possible suspension binding. I may be able to
instrument some of the suspension members with strain gauges to
measure actual induced loads during driving. (As they say - In God we
trust ... all others must bring data!). I want to commend those who
have contributed very thoughtful posts on this subject. As I have
said earlier - the power of a large group of interested people working
on a problem can be awesome.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
Included were photos of Tom Long's lower control arm that
failed under normal use. This was a stress fracture that grew over
time. It was a miracle that the piece broke while the car was parked
overnight and not being driven.