Re: [DML] Front Suspension Mod's

Hello List,
Right now I am still in the middle of building a jig to make a set of new
lower control arms for my car.
I have most of the pieces machined and ready for assembly.
The material I chose to use is 4130 Chromolly 0.063" thk. It's the same
thickness as the original mild steel arms but already twice as strong.
My question to John is, why did Bern use such thick material to make them
stronger. Why isn't he concerned about un-sprung weight. Heavier arms will
change the ride handling. The arms were made lightweight But cheap for a
reason.

For people on this list who don't know:
Sprung and Unsprung Weight

"Sprung" weight is a term used to describe the parts of an automobile that
are supported by the front and rear springs. They suspend the vehicle's
frame, body, engine, and the power train above the wheels. These are quite
heavy assemblies.

Minimize suspension unsprung weight for best handling. Unsprung weight is
what is on the outboard end of the suspension - what is not being "sprung"
by the suspension. This includes wheels, tires, brake components (rotors,
calipers, drums) suspension arms, spindle, rear axle and associated brake
components, and the leaf springs. By reducing unsprung weight you are
reducing mass in motion in the suspension. Less weight moving up and down
means the suspension can react more quickly to changing road surfaces and
keep the tires planted on the ground better. This all equals higher
acceleration traction, cornering traction, and overall better handling and
road feel.

Regards,
Mike
vin#1113