Re: Rear anti-sway bars

Ian - I installed a rear sway bar on my car years ago. The
instructions have (hopefully) been updated, because they didn't make
any sense when I looked at them. In the final analysis, we drilled
holes into the lower web of the rear carriage frame, and installed
the "saddle bushings" there. The bar attaches through the saddle
bushings, and arches forward above the drive axles. The original kit
had two angle brackets that were supposed to be attached to the
trailing arm at the thickened area near the top of the arm, and just
forward of the hub carrier. The bushed links are then supposed to go
from the angles down to the spade ends on the bar. The angular
relationships between the bar ends and the angle brackets were not
good on my installation (I have an early prototype bar), and the
little link bushings were loaded at too much of an angle. I
ultimately changed the end attachments to spherical rod ends with
teflon linings. I will try to locate a digital camera and take some
pictures of my installation. I found out that the lower web of the
rear carriage is not quite strong enough out in the middle area. I
have developed a crack in the frame web due to high cyclic loads, and
one incident when I bottomed out in an intersection, and hit the
saddle bushing housings on the pavement (ouch!). You may want to
install the saddle bushings closer to either the forward or aft edges
to get more stiffness. No suspension parts required removal. Does
any of this make sense to you? Let me know - you can email me
privately if you wish.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "ian" <ian@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi DMLers,
>
> After seeing Walter's 'heads-up' on the anti-sway bars I got one
from Addco for my rhd car refurbishment project. It has arrived at my
mechanics place in CA. He says it looks good but he can't tell from
the poor instructions how it is mounted! Has anyone on the list
experience in fitting one. Can you offer some pointers as to how to
proceed? Does he have to remove the rear carrier assembly?