Water pump replacement checklist

Last summer I successfully replaced my water pump. I considered this procedure at the edge of my abilities, but got through it OK with the help of the two excellent articles in the DMCNEWS Techsection by Cameron Price and David Swingle. Even so, the experience was a bit intimidating due to the lack of details in the service manual concerning the many wires and hoses and random bits that need to be disturbed in order to perform this procedure.

So, in a fit of compulsion I decided to keep extremely detailed notes as I went along, with the idea of writing up an attempt at a complete checklist of each and every step involved in this procedure. I have finally gotten around to finishing this. The results can be found in the Techsection at

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/waterpump3.html

Perhaps this document (combined with the other two) will give a few more people the confidence to tackle this interesting procedure. If so, they will be rewarded not only with a dry garage floor, but also with a much deeper (literally) understanding of their PRV and how it works.

NOTE: Although I have tried my best to capture each and every step in this process, I am sure I missed some things. I am also sure that there are variants from engine to engine. These will only be discovered by people attempting to use the checklist. So, if you do so and discover any discrepancies, please send me a note and I will attempt to revise the checklist accordingly.

Enjoy.

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703