Why DeLorean?

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Bob & Vicky Miller" <delo1@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> ...you want a fast car buy a vette.
>
> bob miller

You know what, I actaully thought about buying a muscle car. I
even went down to look at a few new, restored, and potential
canidates for restoration. NOTHING compares to a DeLorean!
Yes, all were faster, had bigger engines, a bigger network of
aftermarket parts, more options available for customization. But
none of them were my car. When I slip into my DeLorean, I get
into MY car. I don't need to adjust the seat, I don't have to squirm
around to get comfortable, my arms & legs never get tired from
one position. I just get in. None of the other cars I've ever been in
felt the same way. And certainly none have the same personality.
I love the feeling of a warm, cozy interior, and the cold, sharp
exterior. The DeLorean commands attention in a way that no
other car can. While many of you may not know it, the DeLorean
is the only car that I've ever been in that I can simply lean over
and see the stars thru the side glass at night.

I once had a guy ask me why I bought a DeLorean when I could
have afforded a more powerful, or "prestiegous" car. An example
being his BMW. As I simply told him, "When was the last time
you heard someone say, 'Hey look, there goes a BMW!'". So yes,
ego wise, I am a perfect match for my car in that area too!

This and the fact that my driving a DeLorean defies what the car
'experts' say. It's an easy to maintain vehicle, it's operator/
mechanic friendly, has a low maintenance, yet beautiful exteritor,
sits low to the ground, yet doesn't hit bumps, and has absurdly
easy ingree & egrees. Most of all, I'm not wasting my time and
money on a car loan. I don't have to compromise between
owning a sensable car, and owning my dream car. They're one
in the same.

Why am I looking into a more poertful engine? Well, why not? I'm
not chopping anything, and technicly, the conversion is completly
reversable. Not that 1. I or anyone else see the need for the
reversal, 2. Is anyone is really going to care. I've never heard
someone talk of their DeLorean, and mention braging rights that
their 'numbers match'. We have many fine examples of
concourse DeLoreans, and I give many thanks to those who
keep these cars in showroom condition. It is important to know
how they once were. But I'm looking into a modification of the
engine in line with the car's heratage, and with no modifications
to the car itself other than drivetrain. Mine is a working car. She's
a daily driver, and will probably never be parked ever again.
Besides that, I perfer the challenge of an upgrade. In a geek
sense, increasing the output of the engine is kinda like over
clocking a CPU. Yeah yu could get a new PC, but where's the fun
in that? Besides, the upgraded engine is both a benefit to both
the car and myself. Higher performance to match the looks. And
if that doesn't answer the question, then to be honest, because I
want it! If we stuck with the idea that only hight end cars should
have higher performance engines, then we wouldn't be here
right now. It was this idea about dropping larger engines into
cars than they >should< have that gave birth to the Pontiac GTO.

As far as a Corvette is concerned, I wouldn't waste my time with
one. Uncomfortable ride, ugly design, and has a marque that I
wouldn't want to be associated with. DeLorean owners have a
tendancy to be helpful to one another, and are generally good
people. I've yet to meet a Corvette owner who didn't have a tall
tale about their car to tell. That and they are generally very rude. If
I were to ket a turn key sports car with alot of available power, I'd
rather spend the same amount of cash to import an Alpine A610.

But no, I'm a DeLorean owner, and always will be. It's not just a
car, it's the car drivers' dream. And I'm living it!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"