Re: [DML] Comments & Suggestions from Marc re: deloreans magazine

Re: [DML] Comments & Suggestions from Marc re: deloreans magazine

James (and anyone else who is still interested in this thread),

[I cut out all of the original text to save space on the archives and
digests] - Marc

If we count the number of pages (including the front and back covers,
and the 2 pages for the table of contents) then I would agree than 50%
is a high estimate. But, even with your count there are about 7 pages
of obvious advertisements (30%) but if we also count the embedded
"plugs" it is MY OPINION that the majority of the magazine is designed
as an advertisement. Can we call the letter from Stephen Wynne an
advertisement? Obviously you know my opinion on the "news" article, and
tech tips.

On the News section, this article would have been just as interesting
without the need to again "plug" the vendor who Ace purchased the car
from. Instead, this "article" reads more like a informational
advertisement with Ace as the "satisfied customer". The subject of car
going to Costa Rica takes a quick back seat after the second paragraph
to the detail description of why one should choose to purchase their car
from Houston. I invite you to try and re-read the article from a
disassociated point of view.

Why would it be a secret to readers of this magazine that the door
handles are also available from other vendors? Or maybe at some point
you will allow them to advertise in DeLoreans magazine for a reasonable
fee? This way, Houston makes money on both ends (Houston will charge
the vendor to advertise the product that they buy from Houston).

You also say "...as 'deloreans' is for time being supported by DeLorean
Motor Company..." So, will Houston be somehow separating the magazine
from the service and parts company? Will it be truly independent, or
will there be the "black cloud" of question surrounding it like there is
on the DML since you appointed the new keepers?

I do agree James, that you and I have been in disagreement before in
this public forum. I see no reason to discuss this privately because
there is just no point to it. As I said before, the purpose of my post
was to share my opinions. I was not looking to resolve anything, if I
was I would have contacted you directly. I do agree with you, my post
may not have been constructive but again that was not the intent.

No, I wont be writing an article on the Zilla products. I would expect
you to invite Bob "Zilla" to do this if Mr. Elwood believes that the
readers have a interest in it. I don't think there is any subject I
could write about that would be of interest to the readers of DeLoreans
magazine. Unless maybe you would like to publish my opinions of the
magazine? Or is the 1100 readers of the DML is a large enough audience
for me to embarrass myself in front of. :)

Even after reading your well written response to me, It is still my
opinion that the intent is to fool the subscriber into thinking they are
reading a legitimate magazine. The fact that you charge a subscription
for what I believe to be a book of advertisements is reason enough to
keep this opinion. Would you buy a book about buying a television
published by Sony? Obviously there is a conflict of interest for Sony
to tell you the benefits of their competitors. As far as I know, Sony
does not sell such a book but they will send you all of the glossy paper
propaganda for free.

No one needs to own the name "DeLorean Motor Company" or the DMC logo in
order to improve the image of the marque (did I get the spelling right
this time Les?) I don't see how securing the logo protects the
investment Houston has made. Is someone misusing the logo? Can you
elaborate on what the intentions are for the use of this trademark?
Will other vendors be restricted from using it? Will clubs no longer be
able to put it on their tee-shirts? Honestly, I don't expect it to go
that far but my point is I don't see how it is being protected.
Meanwhile, I did speak to JZD's lawyer about this and they are unhappy
that they do not own "DeLorean Motor Company" and were surprised to find
out that the logo DMC was re-registered by Houston (when I told them).
He did not say if he had spoken to anyone in Houston or not about it.

On that same topic of the DeLorean "Image", Id like to make you aware
that it is likely that the good feedback makes it to you and Stephen
more often than the negative. There are instances where Houston, and
you personally (James) have turned people off to owning a DeLorean. I
know of one case where someone has left the DeLorean community as a
result of some "things", I have been asked not to share details.

I'm glad our opinions were entertaining for you. You seem to classify me
as someone who thinks you're trying to take over the (DeLorean) world,
and in some ways you are correct. Obviously you (and I hope Stephen)
are aware that there are a significant number of people in the community
that believe this is the goal of Houston. But, that is OK for a
business to have that goal (Heck, Microsoft has done well with it). My
issue is that it be done in an ethical way, and the idea of a vendor
(ANY vendor) selling a magazine is a step over the line of what is
ethical in business. Maybe I am one of those who just don't "get it",
or maybe I am one of those that can see the emperor is naked.

Is there a need for a Magazine? Maybe. Need for an alternative to the
DOA and DW? I think so. No one did it? Well, that is not really true
because as we discussed recently it had been tried before with no
success. I still don't think it is appropriate for a vendor to do it.
Please don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back, because there
is a very obvious business purpose to this magazine that is not included
in your "two-fold" purpose.

I will not deny that the Espey/Houston topic is discussed occasionally
among people at our events (I don't like the way you group us all
together, I only speak for myself), if there is a desire in Houston for
opinions to change then the actions should change. Opinions will not
change with words. A good example is the recent discussion about
torsion bars. Why is it that last year in Cleveland you were telling
people that there were "plenty in the warehouse, both sides" and now we
hear stories of people (in the northeast) calling Houston and being told
there are no more. It would *SEEM* to me that maybe supplies are
running low, and Houston is being selective about who they sell to. I
am sure you will have a plausible response and reason for this
situation, but the appearance of the situation will likely NOT change
without a change in action and attitude.

Your offer of an olive branch would imply that there is a war. I assure
you, I have no vendetta. I also am known to hold a grudge for all of 10
minutes. A peace offering is only necessary in a war, and from my point
of view this is not the case. I honestly just wanted to share my
thoughts and opinions with the rest of the DeLorean community. How you,
Stephen, or the reader decide to act on those opinions is up to you.

I will admit that I am uncomfortable dealing with the Houston
organization, and it has been 3 years since I purchased directly from
them. It is no secret that this timeframe loosely coincides with your
(James) addition to the organization. This is not due to any grudge or
dislike for you, just that I am uncomfortable with the situation. I
don't see any point in discussing this any further because as I said
above, discussion will not change my opinion only long term actions and
attitudes will.

Marc Levy
(Just a regular owner of #6068 and #1860, and enthusiast)