Re: [DML] Turbocharging (WAS: Houston HiPo)

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Marc A. Levy wrote:

> As far as the Houston Hi-Po engine goes, I doubt they will warranty it
> with any forced induction (James can clarify this). Even if you were
> to ignore that possibility, it again would be costly to but the
> Houston engine and then buy the turbo kit on top of that. Either way,

I don't think this would be terribly good engineering, anyway. While
anything can be turbocharged, the sort of modifications that make a
naturally aspirated engine faster don't always make a turbocharged engine
faster. Raising compression is counterproductive; exhaust headers aren't
compatible with a turbo; changing valve timing may or may not help (or
might make things worse), depending on exactly how it was changed.

A better way to get power in the 250+ HP range would be with an engine
swap, or with a modern turbo setup including an electronic fuel and
ignition system, intercooler(s), and larger turbo(s) (compared to the
Island) - similar to what the "sport compact" aftermarket tuners do.