Re: [DML] Re: TA Bolt questions

> it isn't a hot rod. Toby also has liability to be concerned about when
trying
> to offer something that hasn't been tested in any kind of road or driver
> condition.
> Driver will be the worse.
> John Hervey

John! You suggested a SS316 bolt. May I ask the question, if this one is
"road or driver tested"?

Honestly, I hope it is not. The person who intends to do so will risk his
life.

Why does a person who has obviously not much knowledge on this topic doubt
the research and development of an expert? I really can't understand this.

But back to the facts:
It is surely not o.k. if a bolt is stressed beyond its limits and bents. A
bent bolt is the beginning of a big problem. There is not the question if it
will fail, but when it will fail.
It may take some time, even years, but a bent bolt is prone to failure.

As long as the frame is concerned:
I don't have any hard numbers on this one, but I trust that it can handle
the load of even abusive driving conditions. The force which can occur at
the TA bolt area cannot rise indefinitely but it is limited by the friction
of the tires on the ground. You can think of many abusive conditions:
Popping the clutch, doing a 180°-turn, emergency stop, etc.. I am sure that
there are many drivers out there who do this kind of things from time to
time. But I never heard of a frame failing or even bending (except two
cases: if it has extensive rust damage or in an accident).

You say that your 12.9 bolt was only "slightly bent". So what is the
difference for the frame if the "Toby"-bolt doesn't bend at all? My opinion:
the additional stress caused by the "Toby"-bolt is highly negligible. I bet
one could not even measure a slightest difference.

"Road Test":
If I understood Toby right, he has the new bolts installed in his own car
and in other cars. So there is indeed a road test going on at the moment.

Posting his opinion is surely not a crime, but thinking one could replace
knowledge by opinions is the wrong way. True research and development is not
based on opinions and guesses but on knowledge and facts (which have to be
gathered).

Ralf.