Re: [DML] Re: TA Bolt questions

Walt and others, Don't get me wrong, The application engineer told me this.
I'm just relaying what the people said. I think the Toby bolt will be good
also, But, I'm just trying to offer the other side before he jumps off into
an expensive process and no sales. A few people talk a good bit but don't
Annie up when something good comes out. How long have we been driving the
cars with the 10.9 hardness bolt ( 150,800 ) tensile strength.
Then the 12.9 ( 176,900 ) tensile strength is discovered and offers a little
more strength. Plate it and forget it under normal driving conditions. Again
it's like the man said, If hard driving conditions is making the bolts bend a
little, and I mean almost nothing you can see with the naked eye, then what's
the problem. Has one broke on you. My 11004 has 54,000 miles on the car and I
drive moderately hard and have had no problem with the original bolts 10.6.
My turbo car was driven harder before I bought it from a hot rodder and the
12.9 bolt I took out like I said above was slightly bent. All I'm trying to
say is, tall buildings are made to sway, bridges are made to sway and GM
posted years ago that cars made to rigged caused more deaths because they
wouldn't give a little. If his new bolts will offer 200,000 LB's + of tensile
strength or more, won't bend under any hard driving conditions and will still
give in a stress situation, then I'm all for it. If it's to rigid and won't
then something else will have to give or the bolt will snap. Talk to any
people that works with bolts, they have been telling me this for the last 3
day's. SPS Technologies will make anything you are willing to pay for. They
are the ones that made the torsion bars in the car. They should know. But
it's like what the man said, What's the point. If someone is driving around
popping the clutch trying to peel off, then the bolt will give or the frame
will or you will tear up the clutch shortly. I would like the De Lorean to
have a 250 HP engine and be able to perform the way it does in Back To The
Future. But it wasn't built for that and virtually nothing you can do short
of a total rebuild will change that. We just have to admit this ourselves.
It's a classy car with classy looks and I'm all for making it more safe, but
it isn't a hot rod. Toby also has liability to be concerned about when trying
to offer something that hasn't been tested in any kind of road or driver
condition.
Driver will be the worse.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/