Re: [DML] Re: TA Bolt questions

Toby,
It would be interesting to know (if you can tell us) what the differences
are between an 8.8, 10.9 & 12.9 hardness bolt. I realize that the higher
the number the harder the bolt, but do these numbers carry any units of
measurement? Also with your gourmet alloy bolt (I suppose we are calling
them Toby bolts now), what is the number for it? Or does it even have a
number?

John Hervey,
I disagree about it being okay for the TABs to bend a little as they settle
in place. If driving the car produces enough forces to bend the bolt once,
then I would suspect that several cycles of this force would eventually
break the bolt. I would rather fix something once and have it stay fixed.
I can live with changing my oil on a regular basis, but not my TABs. That
job was a major PITA with the larger automatic tranny in the way. When I
had my alignment checked, I told the mechanic to just check the rear
alignment and not try to make any adjustments. He suggested removing one
shim from the driver's side, but I am reluctant to do this. For now I'm
thinking that I am better off with the rear alignment slightly out than
putting the TAB through another torque cycle. I am planning on upgrading to
Toby bolts until I can get a stainless frame, but that is a whole nother
deal.

Walt Tampa, FL