Re: Trailing Arm Bolts - Engineering

I can't speak for all of the venders. I know that Rob Grady has a
higher tensile strength bolt and nut he recomends. Also way back in
old Delorean Worlds there was a vender pushing a bracket that he
claimed "improved" the system and prevented bending or breaking the
TAB. I have to agree with a post that mentioned getting a harder and
stronger bolt may mean that instead of a gradual failure it would just
shear off when pushed to it's limit. (Being harder it also means
brittler). Replacing the rubber pivot bushing with a less compliant
ureathane may help improve handling but at the cost of more noise and
vibration being transmitted into the frame. If this is a way to go
then you must make the metal tube (spacer) inside strong enough (thick
enough) to withstand the higher compressive stresses. You will also
need hardened shims (washers) so they aren't squished. A heim joint
would have the advantage of no preload so when you twist the joint it
isn't trying so hard to return to it's neutral position. A ureathane
joint made so the ureathane can swivel around the metal spacer could
do the same thing. On many older cars there are venders that sell
urathane bushings to upgrade the suspension (take alot of the
looseness and compiance out) to improve handling and stiffen up the
steering and suspension. Ureathane is also less prone to aging and
damage from oil and gas. In all cases it makes the ride harsher
(stiffer) but more responsive. BTW the workshop manual calls for 55
ft/lbs see K:08:02-K:09:01. In some cases torque values are not
created so much for the fastener as for the components you are trying
to fasten together. I think in this case the limiting factor is the
metal spacer tube in the pivot bushing. In most cases unless
specifically called out torque values are for CLEAN, DRY threads. When
using bolts and nuts close to their yield point or a critical fastener
it is never a good idea to reuse (retorque) more than a minimum # of
times. Every time you torque a bolt and nut you stretch them a little.
After too many cycles you will just pull it apart or rip the threads
out of the nut. On many of the newer cars where many bolts and nuts
are tightened to high levels the manuals warn you not to reuse the
fastener. (Another reason to refer to the manual for the specific car
you work on!)BTW how often have you ever seen mechanics use a
CALIBRATED (in the last 10 years at least) torque wrench on suspension
fasteners outside of wheel lugs! There is much more variation in
torque then you think!
David Teitelbaum