Re: Trailing Arm Bolts - Engineering

David - You are quite correct in your assessment that the tubes and
sleeves will collapse if the torque is increased significantly. I
installed the new bolts at a torque level of 50 ft-lbs, with a
copper-based anti-seize compound applied to the shank and threads.
That is the same value as the "stock bolts" as I recall. Forgive me,
but I ran some numbers today on the preload in the bolts caused by the
installation torque. I wanted to see how much tensile stress we put
on the bolts by torqueing to that level. It revealed some interesting
information ... without going into the calculations in detail, a
torque of 50 ft-lbs on the TAB with grease on the threads and shank
would create a tensile (tension) stress of about 116 KSI. (Remember
that 1 KSI = 1,000 PSI). If the threads on the bolt and nut are
perfectly clean and dry, the tensile stress value at 50 ft-lbs of
torque is 48.3 KSI. Trust me on this ... it just works out that way.
The actual preload is probably somewhere in between those two
extremes, but it varies depending on the cleanliness of the hardware.
The average of the two is about 82 KSI. If you are brave enough to
muscle through a previous post of mine, the maximum allowable tensile
yield stress on the stock bolts is 103 KSI. We are probably coming
close to yielding, or stretching, the TAB every time it is torqued.
The variation could also explain why some people have a problem with
their TAB's , and others do not. My custom bolts have an allowable
tensile yield stress of 200 KSI, so they would only get to about 1/2
of their capability at maximum torque. Okay ... I'm done. I just
thought that you'd like to know.

BTW - What are some of these other solutions that vendors have come up
with? I haven't seen "The Fix" for this area yet ... just a lot of
hand-wringing, and guessing. Please advise.