Re: Trailing Arm Bolts - Engineering

In addition to my studies of the trailing arm bolts, I took a good
look at the rest of the rear suspension. I agree that it would not be
the best solution to convert to a spherical bearing or other solid
(non-isolated) joint. The current rubber bushings absorb a lot of the
"shock loads" from the trailing arm. With a solid attachment, such
as heim joint, ball joint, or spherical bearing, I don't think that
the frame would survive for very long, without some extensive
redesign. The noise transmission into the passenger compartment would
be noticeably worse. IMHO, a medium durometer urethane bushing would
be a good step up from the rubber. The urethane is much more stable,
and would still allow a certain amount of compliance in the
suspension. It would increase the noise a bit, but I think that it
would be manageable. I have a rear sway bar in my car, with
teflon-lined spherical rod end attachments to the trailing arm. A
urethane trailing arm bushing arrangement would be a very good
compliment to the sway bar. I also think that urethane bushings for
the attachments of the upper and lower lateral links would be good.
Rotating joints don't have as much of a problem with "shock loads",
but noise would, once again, increase a little. Is there an existing
vendor out there with some of these urethane goodies?