[DML] Re: DeLorean mentioned in Magazine

[DML] Re: DeLorean mentioned in Magazine

The point to the posting is that there is no reason to always slam
the DeLorean. Yes there were door problems, but they were
pretty much cured with the guide blocks. Yeah you can't lock the
doors and then close them. But they were not designed to
operate that way anyhow. The purpose of engineering is to
overcome problems. The task of engineering can become more
difficult once you start implementing new concepts such as the
doors (yes I know that gullwing doors were not a new idea when
the DeLorean first arrived. But lets be honest. The DMC-12 was
the first practicle use of them).

But as far as problems go, what car doesn't have them? No car
is 100% perfect. But atleast no one has been killed in a
DeLorean because an engine suddenly stopped on the
highway, or because the fuel tank exploded because they were
rear-ended while their left turn signal was on. Combine this with
the fact that the DeLorean is now 18-20 years old and have been
subjected to wear and tear. I'd say that even today the DeLorean
still comes out on top.

The examples given of other Giugiaro related cars was to show
that there are plenty of examples that both engineering and
financially worse than the DeLorean. Yet he doesn't bother to
mention them. The Hyundai Excell is a overall a very poor car in
both handling, and performance. And when Daewoo was on the
brink of bankruptcy, the top execs lied to the Korean government
in order to obtain loans that they knew they would never be able
to pay back. 11 convictions have proven this. That is an example
of a failed company who exhausted all funds NOT DMC!

If you really want to get to the root of the problems with the
DeLorean, take a look at Lotus. They designed the suspension,
they designed the weak front crumple tubes, and they were the
ones who chose what grade bolts to use for the Trailing Arms
and the other pivot bolts.

My main point here was to help stop the bashing of the
DeLorean "marque". Not to entice the slander of anyone, or
anything else. If anythng, it was in defence of the car and the
man.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxx>
wrote:
> Whatever.
>
> What's with the giugiaro bashing? The Delorean HAS
ENGINEERING PROBLEMS.
> The door included. The guides, the lineup with the other
panels, the