Re: whiny engine

A couple of things to check before you go looking at the clutch. Make
sure the trans has the correct amount and type of oil. Check the idler
bearings for the a/c belt. These are simple to do but it does sound
like the throwout bearing and or the pilot bearing. If you go in there
you will be replacing everything anyway so it doesn't matter exactly
what's wrong. These seem to go bad soon after driving through deep
water or after taking the car out of a long period of storage. Noise
when depressing the clutch is a throwout bearing, noise when not
depressing the clutch is transmission. (Generally).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757