Re: HP Gains & Free Flow Exhaust

The exhaust system and the cat on the Delorean is restrictive. It is
technically illegal in the U.S. to tamper or modify anything that
affects the pollution control systems. That being said the PRV-6 in
the Delorean will pass ANY state's tailpipe and dyno test without a
cat.(In fact the manual says to measure ahead of the cat with a hose
set-up.) The only problem is that they are supposed to visually verify
that there is a cat on the car. The best way around that is to gut the
insides of the cat. To probably do the ultimate would be to create a
true dual exhaust set-up with 2 gutted cats with tuned headers if you
can manage the room. With a free-flowing exhaust the intake will then
become the problem with the air box and stove pipe causing the most
trouble. After dealing with these elements now the CIS will be the
limiting element. There are a lot of tricks that can be preformed on
the air mixture unit before you have to consider ripping it off and
trying to reengineer the fuel system. If you are seriously considering
EFI look into turbos as they are as close to bolt-on as you can get as
opposed to EFI. Although EFI has interesting possibilites it is beyond
the abilities of most mechanics to install. A simpler install is just
a carburater. I heard of a member of Delorean Midatlantic who put a
carb on his "D" because he had too much trouble with his Bosch. The
fellow has since passed on but his "D" is still running!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757