[DML] Re: unusual speedo failure

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Walter" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
Maybe these two caps have shrunk with age (not likely)...
<SNIP>
> I am suspicious that if anyone has a dust shield fit tightly
without the
> wheel on the car then they have enough rust in the hub to make
friction. I
> scraped all the rust out of mine, so bingo -- loose dust shield.
<SNIP>

I would say that shrinkage may just be the cause here. When my speedo
stopped working, I first checked the dust shield. Turns out that the
only thing keeping it on was the input shaft for the angle drive. The
hole was still square. The problem appeared that the hub wasn't
making proper contact with the shield to turn the angle drive. The
new cap snapped right on, and no problems since.

But, here's the kicker to the story. My car appears to have been
parked @ the side of a house for a few years. The drivers side lense
on the rear is a bit more faded than the opposite side. And
accordingly, there was some rust present on the passengerside hubs.
After I installed the new dust cap, I decided to install the old one
on the passenger side hub. A bit more rusty, but the cap just kept
falling off. So the bit of rust on the inside did nothing to increase
grip. I would imagine that the plastic has simply begun to shrink
over time.

Just my ¢2 to throw in.

-Robert