Re: unusual speedo failure

Several cars in our club have had the caps repaired by applying
electrical tape to the outside edge of the cap to make it snug in the
hub or spindle. This is a fairly common problem, from what we've
seen. Another challenge is that the cap becomes "rounded off" inside
where the square end of the cable engages the cap. When that happens,
the cap will no longer spin the cable. The quick fix is to cut out a
narrow strip of aluminum or steel sheet (approx. 1/8th inch X 3/4 inch
X .032 inch thick) give or take. Bend it into a squared off "U", and
insert it into the rounded out hole in the cap. This fix recreates
the square shape to properly engage the cable end. Also, the hole in
the spindle is too large for the diameter of the cable, which allows
the cable to flop around quite a bit. This wears the cap, cable, and
can affect the angle drive. The quick fix is to get a length of
copper, mild steel, or aluminum tube that fits snuggly into the
spindle hole, and still allows the cable to fit through. Cut to the
length of the spindle, and gently insert it in. The cable should run
straighter and quieter through the reduced diameter hole.