unusual speedo failure

I haven't had time to do anything with my noisy fuel pump, but I did fix my
speedometer. I have never heard of anyone having one malfunction like this.
To make a long story short, the problem turned out to be that the dust
shield (I call it the angle drive hub) was slipping. There was about 1mm
side-to-side play between the dust shield and the hub. Some of that slop is
due to wear. I think that what contributed to this problem was my cutting
the angle drive cable shorter to stop it from jamming in the dust shield.
(I don't recommend this because it frays on the end.) Anyway, now the dust
shield can seat completely into the hub, but there is no longer any
compression in the angle drive cable to push the dust shield against the rim
to allow it to grab. I fixed this by wrapping some duct tape around the
dust shield to make it hold tighter into the hub. I don't like this, but
it's the best thing I could come up with at this point.

And, yes, my angle drive and upper & lower cable are well lubricated. But
still the friction in these parts was enough to let the dust shield slip.

There was another list member who fixed a similar problem on his D (the one
where the angle drive cable is too long). He fixed it by making a hole in
the dust shield rather than cutting the cable. If you are reading this, let
us know if your dust shield starts slipping.

Walt Tampa, FL